Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Iraq

I read something about Iraq the other day that was more than a little disturbing. Ever since we invaded all I have heard is how Iraq's infrastructure was badly damaged and how they were having trouble producing any oil. Poor little Iraq, no oil revenues, oh dear, they need our help. Now I hear that, oh yes, they are having trouble producing oil. Back before the war they were producing 2.4 million barrels a day. Now, because of the war and all destruction, they are not producing anything like that. They are down to 2.1 million barrels a day. Oh my, goodness, ONLY 2.1 million barrels a day. My heart is just torn. That is 70 million dollars of revenue a day. Two Billion Dollars a Month. This is for a country with a population of 27 million. Just where in name of Allah is all that money going? Somebody's pocket, I'll bet.

Another thing I heard recently is that it only cost $5 (five dollars) to produce a barrel of oil. The rest of the 60 odd dollars that they charge for oil is profit. Oh, there are drilling and exploration costs, and they can be huge sums, but I suspect they do not impact the price significantly.

All these madmen running around Iraq with guns and bombs? Somebody is financing all that because they want to get control of the oil revenue. Every time you buy a tank of gas, you are buying a madman a case of explosives. But the madman is on the other side of the world, so it is okay.

No comments: