Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Windows is Wonderful, Part 9488

I had two phone interviews with Microsoft yesterday afternoon. Friday my daughter announced her decision to attend the University of Washington, which requires an $18,000 annual premium for out of state students. So I spent the weekend scouring the web for jobs in the Seattle area. Monday I got a call from a recruiter at Volt Technical Services in Redmond and yesterday I had not one, but two phone interviews.

It will be a couple of days before I hear anything about either one, so let's not get our hopes up. But it's still a little weird. I put quite a bit more effort into looking for a job in Seattle than I ever put into looking for a job in Portland, and then I get a request for phone interviews from my arch-nemesis in the computer business. The arch-nemesis thing is strictly a one way perception. This is the first time they have even acknowledged my existence. Kind of like attacking a brick wall on my part.

Seattle has it's attractions. It's my boyhood home. It has Puget Sound with all the shipping. It has Boeing. It's a much bigger city with all that entails. The University is bigger and the campus is much fancier than the University of Oregon. Of course, all this is superficial, and it may turn out to not be any fun at all (if I even get a job up there).

I am pretty tired of Hillsboro though. There still isn't a decent restaurant here. Well there are some passable restaurants over on 185th, which are technically in Hillsboro, but are actually more part of Beaverton. And they are five miles away and they are all corporate franchise chains.

I do have some friends that I will miss (if I end up moving), but I suspect I might meet some smart people at Microsoft (supposing I were to actually get a job there).

And I have been looking for a job in the Portland area. I have sent the same resume out to several places and I have not heard squat. Okay, I had an interview with an agency a couple of weeks ago, and I got an email from another agency yesterday, so something might pop, but it's still slim pickings. I haven't heard boo from any of the two dozen jobs I applied for at Intel, so fooey on them. Let's go to Seattle.

No comments: