Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Books: Generation Warriors


I finally finished "Generation Warriors" by Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Moon today. I read "Sassinak" by the same people a while back and I really enjoyed it so I went looking for a sequel and found there were a couple stories that preceded this one. I happened to remember that when I stopped in a book shop in Seattle some months ago and managed to pick up the rest of the series. This book marks my completion of the series and am I glad. None of the other books was as good as "Sassinak". Although Sassinak comes in the middle of the series, I think it was the last one written. I stopped in at Powell's a week or so ago and I noticed that Elizabeth Moon has a whole bookcase devoted to her books, so I am thinking that maybe it is Elizabeth Moon's writing that appeals to me and not Anne McCaffrey so much. I have to admit that this "Dinosaur Planet" series was written some time ago. My paperback copyright is 1991. Now wait a minute, the cover says the authors are "Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Moon" but the title page says "Anne McCaffrey & Jody Lynn Nye". What's going on here?

Some time ago I put together a Google spreadsheet to keep track of the books I have read and the movies I have seen. Then I came across Google Books, and I started entering my books there. Neither one seems to work very well. The spread sheet is good for data, but not very good for extended comments. Google books is good for everything except that it does not have a method for presenting the data in a list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. Random McCaffrey and Moon fan here. Sassinak is very typical of Moon's writing, so if you really enjoyed it you should like her other works, or at least her other scifi works (she has one fantasy series as well). She has two scifi series, "Familias Regnant" and "Vatta's War". I'll skip listing the individual books; there's a good listing of them on wikipedia.

The listing of Jody Lynn Nye on the title page was a misprint. She did co-author one of the books in the series, Death of Sleep, but did not help on either Sassinak or Generation Warriors. Oh, and Sassinak wasn't the last written of the series, it was penned at the same time as Death of Sleep, and they were published a month or two apart. Then Generation Warriors came a year later to finish off the series.

Chuck Pergiel said...

I will have to try some more Elizabeth Moon one of these days, as soon as I get through my backlog. I have about two dozen books I have picked up over the last year or so that I haven't even started.

The name of the author on the title page is a misprint? Boy, that's some kind of screw up. I'll bet somebody caught it big time for that.