Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, October 3, 2008

embedded video playback linux ubuntu firefox


Something is not quite right with my Linux system. I am running the current release of Ubuntu (Horrible Harry or whatever it's called, AKA Version 8.04), just updated this morning. I can play videos on the YouTube website (youtube.com) using Firefox, but when I embed a clip in my blog, it does not play well. I get the big triangle to start with. Click on that and I get an image and the control/status bar just below it. Click play (either small triangle) and ... things go South. Something seems to get jammed up. Response to the keyboard and mouse gets very slow. Occasionally the image will change, but it is not like it is playing. It just jumps from one scene to another.

Everything works fine on my Windows box, so this may be more of Linux problem than a blogger problem. I posted this on several forums, and I figured shoot, I may as well post it on my blog as well, just so y'all will know what kind of pain and suffering I endure for my art.

P.S. I don't have any sound on the Linux box yet, but I suspect that may be a completely different problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check an see which flash plugin is installed. Could be your using the gnash or one of the other opensource plugins. I had some trouble getting them to work right for me and had to use the nonfree one.

Chuck Pergiel said...

Whoa! A comment! About Linux! And useful! I'm shocked! That's like a triple whammy.

I posted this question on a couple of Linux forums, and since I went to all the trouble to write it, I thought I would post it here as well. You never know where you'll find an answer.

So Thanks. Your's basically the same advice I got on the Ubuntu forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5924732

Installed the Adobe flash player and the videos now play like they should. Still no sound though. I got some suggestions from the forum but I have yet to try them out, I've been a little swamped lately.