Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Abreviations, Postal & Otherwise

The world is overflowing with abbreviations. We have the two letter postal codes each of the 50 US states. We have two and three letter suffixes to internet web addresses. And then there is who L33T speak phenomena used in text messages. And then there is even the name of our country. I just want to go on record as being opposed to most of these, mostly because I can't keep track of them all, and because they are sometimes conflicting. When you are talking CA are you talking about California (the postal abbreviation) or Canada (the internet suffix)? And what is the two letter postal code of Iowa? Illinois? Indiana? Idaho?

LOL I know stands for laughing out loud, but what about SWMBO? Or how about ROFL?

I guess I can't really expect any relief, even I use an abbreviation for the name of our country. I mean, do I really want to write out "The United States Of America" instead of "the US" every time I refer to my country? And then there is the whole proliferation of buzzwords in techno-babble. RAM and CPU I think are understood by the majority, but how about ROM, MHz and UART?

When I send mail to my bank, all I put for the address is their name and their nine digit zip code. The last four digits are the same as their PO Box. So far that has worked, so I will continue to use it. Some places though, the PO Box number does not match the last four digits. Probably not a good idea in those places.

No comments: