Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Resolution

Last week I went to three events/meetings in downtown Portland. It about wiped me out. So far this week I haven't been anywhere. Open Sourcery is hosting a lunch today but I haven't been able to muster the energy to get going. For these kind of things I like to take the train, it's cheaper than buying gasoline, and it's less stressful, but it takes so long that it turns a quick outing into a frigging expedition.

What's going to happen to the breakfast table when all the newspapers fold up and go away? Are we going to have a large flat screen monitor in front of everyone's place at the table? Admittedly there are seldom more than two people at the table for breakfast, but that's just my house.

This morning in the local paper there was story by Noelle Crombie. Accompanying the story there were a couple of pictures that looked sort of the same, it you were standing 20 feet away. One is Leonardo daVinci, the other is part of a drawing he made. Some wackos are trying to say that Leonardo purposely arranged his drawing so that a portion of it formed a self portrait. Okay, sure, if that's what you want to believe, go for it. Any closer than about ten feet and the drawing doesn't even look a picture of a person. Any more than 20 feet away and it becomes just a fuzzy spot. In between they appear to be similar aspects of a man's face, but they aren't really identifiable. The pictures as printed in the paper are about 1.8 inches tall by 1.5 inches wide.


On my screen they are about 2.2 inches tall and 1.85 inches wide. Each image is about 196 pixels tall by 168 pixels wide. That works out to roughly 100 pixels per inch for either the print or screen versions. There might be more detail in the actual printed version, but it is really hard to say. I would have guessed that the newspaper was being printed at 300 dots per inch, but maybe not.

One more detail: in the pdf version of the front page, the letters in the name of the article's author appear to be of mixed heights. On the printed page they are all the same height. This pdf link will probably go away in about a week. If you want to see it after that, let me know. I kept a copy of the file. I couldn't find the story in their online version, maybe it will show up there later.

Update January 2017 replaced missing picture, removed dead link.

2 comments:

sharon said...

Actually, if you sit at your computer and SQUINT at these pictures, you have the face they are talking about appear. And WHY NOT? I'm sure Leo had some time on his hands, and being a dopamine saturated being, was up for making himself a challenge.Artists do this all the time, a game.

Chuck Pergiel said...

If I squint, I can see a face in the picture of bones, but it is hardly recognizable as anyone in particular. I think it's just a coincidence, I don't think a face was intended. If it had been intended, it would have clearer.