Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, March 2, 2009

"The Trap" by Daniel Brook

Brother remarks on "The Trap":
I thought it was very well written. He harps a little too much on the poor wealthy yuppies who can't do what they really want to do because they have to pay New York rents, but...the overall theme of being trapped in economic serfdom by a free-for-all system, resonated with me.

Plus at the end he talks a bit about Po Bronson, so I thought you might like it.

I liked it a lot, and was even a little peeved that a 20-something could so elegantly formulate and articulate these views that I've been struggling with for 40+ years.
At first glance I was ready to blow it off as garbage. But then I read one of the reviews. I don't think I have heard anyone else say what he is saying for at least 30 years. Selling out used to be a sin, but then we grow up and get a mortgage and all of a sudden you've got bills to pay.

I like to think I didn't sell out, but if I didn't it was probably more to dumb luck than any idealistic chops on my part.

Looked up Po on Wikipedia. How did he get to be such a success? Or rather, what did I do wrong? Or maybe, what's wrong with me? His story reads like a fairy tale.

Grand Rapids Mike responds:
They made him a success because he give an over-simplified black-or-white take-it-or-leave-it view of happiness.

In other words, he sold out nuance for obviousness.

No comments: