Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Movies


Yesterday on the way to the grocery store, darling daughter and I passed by the old mom-and-pop video store. They've been going out of business for the last couple of months or so, but today looked like the very end: All DVD's $1 each. Now that's a bargain in anybody's book, so we stopped in to take a look. I wasn't expecting to find much of anything, but in five minutes I had a stack of a dozen or so disks. Kathryn found some she wanted as well. We ended up with 16 all told.

This morning I went through the stack to see just what I had purchased and found only two that might actually be worth watching. The rest of them I picked up for some other reason. Here's what I found:
  • Warbirds. Dinosaurs and WWII fighter aircraft. This has got to be the "B" movie of the century. I picked it up just because the premise was so ridiculous.
  • Kibakichi 2. Japanese samurai and Japanese ghosts, er, werewolves. I had seen this one on the shelf several times, but as a rental, I always passed. But for $1? How can I resist?
  • Threshold. "SciFi Essentials". "The Infestation Has Begun." It's science fiction, it's essential. I should buy it? It's only a buck.
  • Space Age. A six hour mini-series hosted by Patrick Stewart. I have six hours to spend listening to the Captain of the Enterprise drone on about stuff I already know? Eh, maybe.
  • Redacted. Or rather: Brian De Palma's Redacted. This one promises to be worth watching, if I haven't already seen it.
  • Red Road. This might be okay as well. Prize winner at a couple of film festivals. "The Best Thriller of 2007".
  • Little Children. Banner at the top of the cover proclaims: "3 Academy Award Nominations". Not sure why I picked this one up. Maybe the banner was all I needed.
  • Lust | Caution. "From the Academy Award-winning director of Brokeback Mountain and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I am pretty much down on movies about homosexuals. I've seen two, and that was two too many. But Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, now that was a great movie. But looking at the scenes on the cover now, I may have already seen this movie.
  • Zelary. Academy Award Nominee (Best Foreign Language Film). Looks like a WWII Story. I do not think there are any dinosaurs in this one. This might be okay as well.
  • Around The World In 80 Days. I think this might be the original. There are two disks. Will I be able to find anyone here to watch it with me?
  • Shadow of Doubt. An old Alfred Hitchcock thriller. Same thing here. It might be a decent movie, but I doubt anyone in my house will want to watch a 50, er, 66 (!) year old movie.
Okay, it looks like there might be more than two that will be worth watching, but there are several that I picked up for other reasons, which probably means I won't watch them.

No comments: