Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, December 11, 2009

Pictures

The Sleeping Venus by Giorgione c. 1510
I like to illustrate my posts with pictures. Partly just because I like pictures and partly because they sometimes help clarify the story. I used to just link in the pictures. That is, I would supply Blogger with the URL of the picture, and when it needed to display that picture, it would go look it up on the web. I have found this to be unreliable. Websites disappear without any warning and take their pictures with them, and I am left with a pictureless post. So now I download a copy of the picture and post that. That way if the originating website disappears, the picture doesn't. I still put in a link to the original website so they can get credit for it, if they don't disappear.

Update November 2015: My technique failed when Blogger lost the picture. I used the file name to locate the picture on the net. I probably have it on a disk somewhere, but the net is quicker and easier.

No comments: