Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, May 3, 2010

Automatic Revolver

Webley-Fosbery 1937

I was out wandering around on the internet and I stumbled across a mention of the Webley-Fosbury revolver. I had heard of Webley's before, but I didn't recall exactly what Fosbery had to do with it, so I went a-looking and I came across a post on Analog Periphery [dead], which not only had a picture of the Webley-Fosbery automatic revolver, but also had a picture of a more recent automatic revolver, the Mateba Unica Model 6,

Mateba Unica Model 6
and best of all a picture of the gun Harrison Ford used in Blade Runner.

Blade Runner Blaster
Decker's blaster is the coolest one of them all, but then I'm a sucker for most anything Science Fiction-ish.

An automatic revolver uses the recoil from firing to advance the cylinder and cock the hammer. They are kind of kin to the steam turbine locomotive: a mechanical experiment that was never a real practical success.

Update September 2016 replaced missing pictures, noted dead link.

1 comment:

Ole Phat Stu said...

Then there is BP company director's roulette.

It's like Russian Roulette, but Obama gives them a pistol instead if a revolver ;-)