Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, July 9, 2010

Avatar

I originally wrote this a month ago, but I started to expand on the politics and got bogged down. Now I'm trying to clean up my files, so I decided to cut the political commentary and just post this.

Watched this with my daughter this week. What a fantastic movie! Someone sure put a lot of work into it, creating this world and all the plants and animals. They were just amazing! They have gotten a lot better at animating motion. Usually when I watch CGI (Computer Generated Images) I notice little glitches in the motion. Something is just not quite right about the way a person or animal moves. On one one hand it's very subtle. It's not like I can point out exactly what is wrong, but on the other hand it's blatantly obvious. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I didn't see any of that in this movie, or if I did, I chose to ignore it, because in general, the motion was dang near perfect.

Then we have the human's machines. Movie makers have gotten very good at this sort of thing, but I didn't notice anything that could be considered a quantum leap better like I did with the biological forms.

2 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

A machine to do mind-transfers between bodies and you didn't notice THAT as a quantum leap?

Chuck Pergiel said...

I was referring to the techniques used to actually make the movie, not the fanciful devices that were portrayed.

Guess I wasn't as clear as I thought.