Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, August 2, 2010

Antivir Solution Pro

My computer got infected with this fake anti-virus program this morning. I am not quite sure how it happened. Near as I can tell it happened when I tried to access my hotmail account. I don't use the account often, and it wouldn't let me in when I tried it this morning. I suppose my account could have been deleted due to lack of use. That was the only weird thing that happened before this bogus program started popping up.

It took some doing to get rid of it. Had to download and run a program called rkill to kill the process, and then download, install and run a malware removal program. I used Malwarebytes, because that was what the first two web sites I consulted recommended. These two programs run in tandem seemed to do the job.

As a weird side effect, a directory I thought I had moved into a sub-directory in My Documents has reappeared on my desktop. For a garnish on this anomaly, the files were locked. I used unlocker to unlock them. Just remember, Bill Gates loves you and Windows is Wonderful.

Here is another link to rkill.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Hello,

My PC got infected with this nasty virus/malware. It blocks Malwarebytes :( What can I do now? I know I have to run the rkill tool first but it blocks it too. Maybe you know any other program that could remove this virus from my computer? I found Spyware Doctor, but you have to pay for it. It's only a free scanner.

I've already followed these removal instructions:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivir-solution-pro
http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-to-remove-antivir-solution-pro.html

Any help is appreciated.
Steve

Chuck Pergiel said...

There are several versions of rkill out there (.com, .exe, etc.) If one doesn't work, maybe another will.

Only other thing I know is connect your hard drive to another computer (as a second drive) and run the scanner from there.