Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Lightbulbs

Opened the newspaper again and Politifact is talking about lightbulbs, one of my (least?) favorite subjects. Seems some Republican is opposed to a law mandating fluorescent lightbulbs. What? Somebodies trying to outlaw incandescents? Dad burn whippersnappers! They can have my incandescents when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers!

All they consider is cost per photon, they don't consider performance or environmental issues at all. Why don't I like compact fluorescents? Let me tell you. They:
  • take a long time to come to full brightness,
  • barely work at all when it's cold, and
  • they contain a minuscule amount of mercury.
When I turn on a light, it's because I want light NOW, not in five minutes or whenever the cute little CFL gets around to its' full brightness. Ever notice the number of fluorescents used for outdoor lighting? You know why? They don't work when it's cold! And aren't we still engaged in a big campaign to eliminate the evil element Mercury from our lives? And here they are trying to poison us all over again. Ignorant fools.

Geez, does everything have to be politics?

No comments: