Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Good Job

This week's episode of The Good Wife (Wrongful Termination) revolved around the suicides of three employees at one company, which reminded me of the time I interviewed for a position with Intel's Supercomputer Group back in the 90's. Three people in that group had recently committed suicide there as well. I didn't get the job. That was probably a good thing. This was back when I was still under the illusion that Intel was an engineering company. I eventually figured out it was not an engineering company, it was more of a political cluster fuck.

There was a news item this week about some muckety-muck from Intel giving a speech in Arizona about how the public schools weren't doing a good job of educating students. Do not forget that Intel is one of those companies that bases it's decision on where to locate it's next plant on how a big a tax break they can get. And now they have the nerve to bitch about the schools. Shitheads.

Which reminds me of the time I got invited to some kind of fund-raising dinner at Nike. If I recall correctly the keynote speaker was another muckety-muck from Intel, and they were soliciting donations to a fund to help the schools, once again after they had scored a big tax break on the plants they built here, like Ronler acres.

I guess it's the nature of all large successful organizations to attract good-for-nothing  politcal opportunists. I am sure there are some good people working at Intel, there are probably some people who really enjoy their jobs, and there is undoubtably some real innovative engineering going on. But I am also sure there are some really rotten people working there, there are a bunch of people who can't stand their job, and there is a whole bunch of useless make-work going on as well.

No comments: