Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ink

Dustbury put up a post, which prompted me to post a comment, and since I was so eloquent, I thought I would repost it here for your amusement.

Company I used to work for used to buy ink by the gallon, literally. They would buy one gallon, and pour it into little bitty bottles that they would dispense to their customers. Even buying it by the gallon, ink was expensive: something like $500 a gallon.

I had an Okidata LED printer for a long time. It worked like a laser printer, it had a toner cartridge and everything, it just used LED's instead of a laser. I think it died of old age before I had to replace the toner.

I have a Canon ink jet printer now and I think I buy new ink cartridges for it about once a year, if that. Except last year when I was trying to print some technical PDF's. Then it got expensive. Next time I need to print that much I will send the files to Kinkos, or buy a pivot monitor.

I suspect on an average day I use about one sheet of paper for my chicken scratchings, and print about one page.

I used to print a lot more, after all I started with computers when it was punch cards and printouts. But as time has passed, I find more and more often that I don't want to wait for the printout, and will look up what I need on the screen, even though it is more hassle. Likewise, stuff that I used to write out by hand, I now take the time to enter in the computer, because once it is there, I can easily mush it around to suit my evil purposes.

No comments: