Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Year Old Security Breech: Hard Drives in Copiers

This is one I never suspected. I figure that anything sent electronically, whether over the air or via a land line, is liable to be picked up by someone. Supposedly financial websites encrypt the data that gets transmitted, and so far it seems to be working: I haven't woken up to find myself broke. Yet. And any kind of new wireless gizmo probably has new security holes, so if you have something you don't want the world to know about, you shouldn't use any kind of electronic device to store or transmit that information. Find the person who needs to know and whisper it in their ear. That is usually a pretty secure method of communicating.

Mark sent me a this link to a video clip from CBS news. It's just over a year old. Seems commercial copy machines contain hard drives that contain images of the most recent nine-zillion pages that  have been copied. I can't imagine why you would put a hard drive in a copy machine, other than maybe it was just easier to build it that way. OK, maybe there is some mode where you scan a multi-page document and print a bunch of copies, but I've never run across one. Whenever I've used a copier, it scans the original and prints the copy at the same time, so I don't see why you would ever need to save an image.
 
But it seems that copiers do save images of the copies they make.

No comments: