Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, July 25, 2011

Chrysler Sebring, Day 33

Mmmm, carmel sauce.
Pulled the oil pan off thinking I would be able to check the bottom end bearings, but no such luck, the windage tray is in the way. I could take it off, but working from underneath is a pain, even when the engine isn't in the car.
I got this shot by holding the camera at floor level and pointing as best I could.

Cleaning up today I noticed a mark on the timing chain cover where the timing chain had been rubbing against one of the stand offs. This could be explained by the bad water pump bearing, or it might mean the chain has stretched and needs to be replaced.

Looking at the oil drained from the engine, I noticed that there was a layer of water in it. That is not surprising, head gasket failure allows coolant into the oil galleries, and vice versa. But down at the bottom of the bucket there is another layer of what looks like oil.What is that all about? Oil is lighter than water, so it normally floats on top. What came out of the engine that is denser than water?

No comments: