Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chrysler Sebring Test Drive


Yesterday we took the car out for a spin. Notice how the steering wheel is straight at the start of the clip. That's because we are going around a curve. Notice how later on in the clip the steering wheel is cross wise. That's because when we slipped the two sections of steering column together, we didn't pay no never-mind to the rotation. So now we've got a cross-wise steering wheel. I don't know which would be the easier way to fix it. Pull the steering wheel, or loosen the front suspension. Either one promises to be a royal pain, and I'm not sure it would even be worthwhile. We shall see.

I don't know if you can see the little orange warning light between the two big gauges, but it's the ABS light. What's up with that? Just because we rearranged the brakes lines into more artistic shapes shouldn't have any effect, should it? Maybe there's still some air in the brake lines, but the brakes seem to work fine. ABS on my truck is acting up, too. I wonder how much money we have spent (collectively, as a nation) on ABS equipment, and I wonder how much damage they have prevented. I imagine we probably spend a billion dollars a year on ABS braking systems, and I'll bet we save maybe 10% of that, for a net loss of $900 million dollars a year. No wonder we're all broke.

Notice the foggy area across the top of the headlight? Maybe not, it's hard to see in this photo. You can see a little cloudy spot just above the headlight bulb. When I was connecting the right front brake line I got brake fluid all over my hands and forearms. I wiped it off with a rag. Then I looked at something under the hood and I rested my arm on the headlight. The residue from the brake fluid, after I had wiped it off, crazed the plastic lens. Bah.

No comments: