Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Quote of the Day

“We read to know we are not alone.” C.S. Lewis
Found on Andrea's Bookclub, which seems to consist solely of book reviews. I'm not a big fan of C.S. Lewis. I read a couple of his books a long time ago and they were fine stories. But then I read something about how his stories were allegories about god and religion and how the lion was god or something and I thought "what a load of rubbish". So I guess I wouldn't have anything against ol' C.S. if I hadn't read what someone else thought of him.

Anyway, I sometimes wonder why I write this blog. I suppose it's mostly because I hope someone will read it and possibly find something useful, or maybe just interesting.

I just stumbled over a post about sculpture, and I just realized artists make things for the same reason I write. They are trying to communicate with people, but for them words are somehow not enough. Most modern art strikes me as silly, and museums full of great art bore me to tears. But people are ... I was going to say oblivious, but that's not really the right term, even though they are. People can only focus on a few small things at a time. When your day is filled with obligations, how much time do you have to look outside of your little world and see what's going on? That's what artists and writers are trying to do, they are trying to show you something from somewhere else. Maybe it will give you an idea, or maybe it will provide you with a little enjoyment. One can hope.

1 comment:

CGHill said...

Who needs a reason?

I sent someone on Yahoo! Answers over here the other day: he wanted, of all things, some details on pulling a Sebring engine.

Which demonstrates, I suppose, that you never know who's reading your stuff.