Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3

More fun with Linux. The brainiacs at Launchpad want to know if the spell checker still prefers British spellings over American ones if I use a different browser, so I installed Chromium, and I am typing away here in Chromium and the only thing it is complaining about so far is brainiacs.

There is a language selection thing-a-ma-bob and it is set to English (US). I could try setting it to UK and then setting it back to US. I could reboot once or twice or more. Shoot I could even stand on my head. Or maybe I just won't use any words that are spelled slightly differently in merry olde England. Huh, didn't like olde, imagine that.

OK, let's try favorite and see what happens. It did not complain. I'll be durned. Let's try the UK spelling of favourite and blamo! It complains. I suppose I should go back over to Firefox and see if the problem still exists over there.

Yup, here we are back in Firefox and favourite is still fine and favorite is still bad.

So there you have it from the frontlines of the soft wars, this is not Roland Hedley reporting.

I wonder if there is any substantial difference between browsers these days, or whether it is like the difference between a Honda and a Toyota: inconsequential.

2 comments:

Rocky Humbert said...

Hey Pergie: I've been absent for a while but I'm back and see you are linuxing poetically. Sadly I must report that Dennis Ritchie died last week...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/16/john-naughton-dennis-ritchie-unix?newsfeed=true

It's arguable that he was more important than Steve Jobs ... but....

Chuck Pergiel said...

Good to hear from you. I heard about Mr. Ritchie from E.B. Misfit.