Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Opening Title Sequence


I've read the books, I've seen the Swedish version of the movies, and I recently saw the American remake, which is where this nightmare comes from. This opening sequence was made by Tim Miller of Blur Studio. The tune, in case you don't recognize it, is Led Zepplin's Immigrant Song, done by Trent Reznor with Karen O and Atticus Ross. The movie was directed by David Fincher who get's mentioned here because he also directed Fight Club, one of the bestus movies ever.

Kind of weird seeing two versions of the same story so close together, but it's a good story, and worth repeating. True Grit is another good story with an original film and a remake. After I saw the new version at the theater, I went and looked up the old one and watched it. It was interesting to see what was changed between the two versions and what was left alone. There were some subtle things that I would not have noticed if I hadn't had something to compare against.

The only complaint I had about the Hollywood remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was at the very end when she passes the bad guy. She's driving a motorcycle and he's driving an SUV. There was no reason for her to do that, and a zillion reasons not to. Why did they put such a stupid move in the movie? Desire to add "thrill"? Somebody wanted to put their personal stamp on it? Some focus group said they liked seeing really stupid motorcycle versus car interactions? It was at the end, and it was the only really stupid thing in the movie, so I guess I can't complain. Much.

No comments: