Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Chicken

    My wife and I are not foodies. For me a nice meal once a month is plenty. I am perfectly content to eat the same thing morning, noon and night for six months until I am totally sick of it. Then I will find something else. For me Kentucky Fried Chicken is gourmet cooking.
    Daring daughter on the other hand likes variety, and especially variety in vegetables. Today we went to the grocery store and Hank's isn't good enough, we have to go to New Seasons. I hate New Seasons. It's all bright and cheerful, full of happy, smiling people, all fussing over food. Christ on a crutch, get me out of here. But she's my daughter so I gritted my teeth and bore it.
     I have to admit their prices on some things are cheaper than Hank's. Not many mind you, especially since there isn't much overlap between Vegan Heaven and Vegan Hell.
    Chicken was the interesting part. We were looking at meat. For a neanderthal like me, grilling is the only method of cooking. I mean I have heard of other methods of cooking, like boiling and frying and baking or roasting, but that generally requires using pots and pans, which isn't a problem so much as having to wash them when you're done, and I hates me some dish washing. So then, grilling. But grilling means good cuts of meat. You can grill cheaper cuts, but you might live to regret it. Cheaper cuts are generally tougher (or so I've been told). If you want to go to the trouble of cooking them in a pot in the kitchen you could probably make them tender and delicious, but I'm not gonna do that. So I want steaks, and New Seasons wants $17 a pound for steaks. Even with my inflation adjusting divide-by-ten rule, that still a dollar seventy a pound, which is more than my standard cut off of a dollar and a half, so no steaks.
    Well, how about some hamburger? Hmmmm, no, oh, but look! We have cute little patties all ready made up, mixed with some kind of weeds and cheese. Okay, we'll get some of those. And how about some chicken?
    They've got cut up chickens and whole chickens and free range chickens and barn raised chickens (whatever that means) and, here's the one that caught my eye, a special on some kind of chicken for $2 a pound. I don't know how much raw chicken usually costs, like I said, I don't cook, but $2 a pound sure looks a heck of a lot better than $17 a pound, so we get one. It costs $12. Whoa! That chicken weighs six pounds, that's as much as a small child. You can buy a fully cooked chicken at Costco for like $5. Of course, Costco chickens don't weigh six pounds. If will be interesting to see how many meals we get out of this monster chicken.

Update: those funny hamburgers turned out to be pretty tasty. Not sure how I feel about that.

No comments: