Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Champagne


    I don't drink much these days - recovery takes too long. I had a half bottle of champagne when I got back from Eugene Friday evening and Saturday, well, here it is Sunday, yesterday must have been Saturday, but I'll be darned if I know what I did yesterday, if anything. Probably took a series of naps, with just enough time in between to have a snack.
    When I was younger I used to drink a bit. There was a time, it must have been my nadir, when I was living in Houston and drinking a pint of liquor a day. If I was prone to alcoholism, I think that would have been when alcohol had the best chance of getting it's claws in me. As it was, I may have been habituated, but circumstances changed and I eased off.


    Mostly I've been a beer and wine man. Having been raised to be frugal, and having a talent for dealing with numbers, I was all about price per ounce of alcohol, and liquor was just generally a few cents higher, that is when I had enough money to even consider buying liquor. When I was 20 (+/-) we could buy a six pack of Golden Goebels for a dollar at the corner store. Why spend more?


    One summer me and my buds discovered Mogen David 20-20, a fortified wine that was 20% alcohol., otherwise known as Mad Dog. I damaged three cars that summer. That was enough of that.
    At some point I quit drinking red wine because of the histamines, ya know. What with hayfever and a runny nose, it seemed like a good thing. Later on, I thought beer was giving me bad hangovers, and I had more money so I switched to Bourbon, a good old American whiskey, none of that furrin' stuff for me. Besides I ain't gonna pay no $30 a bottle.
    But I never cared for Champagne. Some people really liked it. There was one girl I knew who really liked the $100 a bottle stuff. That relationship didn't last. I mean it's fizzy, but so's beer. And price really seemed to matter to people who liked it. I couldn't understand it.
    A few years ago after a long drive my mother-in-law fixed us all some French 75's which I thought were really good. They're made with Cognac and Champagne. Good Cognac and cheap Champagne, if I recall correctly. I tried making them for myself sometime later, and they just didn't cut it. Eventually I figured out that alcohol tastes a lot better after a hard days work. Drive a couple hundred miles and unload a car-full of stuff and then have a drink. So Friday evening after I had driven to Eugene, helped younger son unload his stuff, and then driven back, I was ready for a drink.

Apu

   I stopped in North Plains for gas and picked up a bottle of Cook's Extra Dry Champagne from Apu at the Kwik-E-Mart. They also had Andre's Brut Champagne. I recalled from my last excursion into Champagne land that Brut is drier than extra dry, and I'm thinking I don't need drier than extra dry, so I sprung for the extra dollar for Cook's ($7 versus $6 for Andre's), and it was pretty good. Older son tells me that Cook's is well worth the extra dollar.

Cook's Champagne

Update February 2016, replaced missing champagne image.
Update March 2022 replace missing image of Apu. It has been deleted from the Simpson Crazy website.

No comments: