Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Expedia, Part 2

This song has just barest connection to this story, but hey, it's not a bad tune.

    You would think I should have learned my lesson last time, but no. I guess I'm just a sucker for the easy point-and-click buy-it-now and regret it later interface. Family emergency, need to fly to the middle of fly over country. Well, OK, it's not an emergency, but it's serious. So we plan on leaving in a week. Looks reasonable, so we buy tickets. Less than a day later things have gotten worse and we need to change at least one ticket. Anne puts in a call to Expedia and she gets a robo-cop that tells her they will call back in 26 to 39 hours. 26 to 39 hours!?!?! You're kidding, right? No, that was the message. Well, say good-bye to that $400 ticket.
    Then last night about midnight a string of miracles occurred:
  1. Expedia called back. 
  2. way down in my cave I heard the phone ring. 
  3. I managed to answer it before it went to voice mail. 
  4. I remembered my instructions and was able to communicate them to the woman on the other end.
    Being able to correctly remember my instructions was the most miraculous of all of these, being as I was about half in the bag. The upshot was that we now have a $250 credit for the next time we need to go somewhere, and being as someone in my family is always going somewhere, we will probably get to use it.

No comments: