Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Screw-Top Champagne

I had a heck of a time opening a bottle of cheap champagne the other day. I was expecting to have to first remove the foil, then the metal lock and lastly the cork, but the foil is being a real pain. Instead of coming off in one big piece I have to pick it off in little bits. It's like it's glued on. I finally get enough it off that I can see that the cap has to be unscrewed. Well, that's different, but okay, so I unscrew it and POP! Out comes the cork as well. It's just a plastic stopper really. It's only a $5 bottle of champagne. I probably could have skipped the whole foil picking business and just twisted right off the bat, but I had never seen this arrangement before.


This is a really good invention for people like me who never learned to properly open a bottle of champagne. I always thought the way to do it is push the cork up with your thumbs while pointing the bottle at someone you don't like. Oldest son showed me the correct way which is to twist the cork and let the pressure push it out. You have the cork in your hand so it's no going to fly anywhere. I guess I was always afraid that twisting the cork would just cause the knobby end to twist off and then you'd be left with a broken cork recessed in the bottle, and, well, let's just not go any farther.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What champagne is that?