Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, February 22, 2013

Shorter

If you are squeamish you may want to skip this post.

    What we have here are a couple of horror stories. They come out all right in the end, but the middle part is kind of grisly. The weird part is I am not sure if they are true, or if I dreamed them. They happened a long time ago, I only heard each story once, and I haven't heard of anything similar before or since.
    Back on the farm in Ohio, the son of a neighbor went to work for the power company. He was working on a high tension line when he fell 80 feet to the ground. The ground was soft, and he landed on his feet, but it messed up his legs something awful. Doctors operated on his legs and were able to put him back together, only missing about four inches of height.
    A woman I know in the Midwest was in some kind of accident, automobile maybe. Her legs were damaged, doctors operated and took out about four inches of the lower leg bones. If her case this had the benefit of reducing her height from extraordinary to merely tall.
    I sometimes wonder whether the doctors also had to operate on the leg muscles to accommodate the shorter leg bones, but then I think, no, probably not. It would have taken months for the bones to heal, and the body would have adjusted the muscles all by itself. On the other hand, I don't really want to know. The whole thing is just too awful to bear thinking about.

No comments: