Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Weird Movie Finances


Our local paper gave the The Counselor an F. That's on a scale where A is really good and C is okay. I don't think I've ever seen them give a movie a grade of less than a C. I have seen one movie that I would give an F and that was David Lynch's Inland Empire. That was a bad, bad movie.
    How can The Counselor be so bad? It's got all these great names associated with it, so I went looking for reviews and I found that the plot is confusing, the tone is vicious, and it might be either a little too deep, or a little too shallow, I'm not sure. In any case, I found this bit about movie finances in Forbes, and since I was just wondering about this I thought I'd post it.
Anything in the $60-70 million range would allow The Counselor to avoid being an outright disaster, then, and claim at least a small profit (compared to production and marketing costs, that is — the truth is that studios get only about half of the domestic box office totals, and only around 30+% of the foreign receipts, so a $70 million total box office might translate hypothetically into a studio take of perhaps about $28 million, give or take). At this point, though, I think it’s going to be about the long haul, where coming close to breaking even lets those involved look toward the home entertainment market’s large profit margins as the eventual payoff, not to mention the possibility McCarthy will write a novelized version for merchandising purposes as well.
I watched Revolver (Jason Statham with hair, Guy Richie directs, Luc Besson writes) last night on broadcast television. It was certainly an odd film, but I kind of liked it, so I'd like to see The Counselor, but I ain't gonna spend $30 to see it. I'll wait till it hits Netflix.


      I got done writing this and I go looking for a picture to go with it. I found a good one, but then I watched this trailer and what is that tune they're playing? That's Sail by AwolNation. For some reason it seems to give the trailer a creepy feeling.
   P.S. The Forbes reviewer also says "The short version is, this is basically a David Lynch film that forgot to get Lynch involved." I don't know if that is good or bad. I mean Inland Empire was awful, but Blue Velvet was awesome.

No comments: