Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Knight's Tour

Can you cover an entire chess board using only a knight, and do it without visiting any square more than once? Somebody figured it out and Iowa Andy sent me the GIF file. I looked around for other versions and I found this interactive one. They claim a good score is 65. Well, duh. A perfect score would be 63. I gave it a whack but it took me 75 moves. Then I tried copying this diagram. It took me a couple or three tries before I realized that following the GIF wouldn't work. Since the GIF starts in the middle of the top row and the puzzle starts in the corner, you will run into one of the endpoints when you are only halfway done, and when you get there you are not within reach of the other endpoint. I haven't had my coffee yet. Yes, I know it's mid-afternoon, but I didn't sleep well last night, and after daughter-of-dubious-value drug me out to look at used cars this morning I needed a nap when we got back.

2 comments:

AndrewP said...

i did it first try with 63 by going around the perimeter first. I was surprised I didnt paint myself in to a corner. curious how this cam eout with no planning.

Chuck Pergiel said...

Very good!