Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Major Crimes

My wife and I watched The Closer with Kyra Sedgwick who was a doll, well at least she was when the series started. Now we are watching Major Crimes with Mary McDonnell who is not. Matter of fact she was a major pain in the ass (is haradin the right word?) in her supporting role as some kind of internal affairs bureaucrat in The Closer. Her character (Captain Sharon Raydor) has not changed one wit, but she is perfect in her role as the head of the Major Crimes squad in the Los Angeles Police Department. We watched two episodes this evening from Frontier on-demand and they were both excellent. All the standard elements of a good television cop show were there, but the confrontations between intimately involved characters were exceptional. Captain Raydor is having to deal with her irresponsible semi-ex-husband. The parents of the confused gender teenager get to drag all their baggage across the stage for everyone to admire. I thank the lord that I don't have those kind of problems, or I would if I believed in the lord. Can you be thankful without having to thank someone in particular? And why is spell-check having trouble with Los Angeles?
    In the photo that's Dectective Andy Flynn (Tony Denison) on the left and Leutenant. Louie Provenza (G.W. Bailey) on the right.
    The episodes we watched this evening made me really glad I'm not a cop. I would not want to have to deal with the kind of situations they run into, and I suspect they were probably sanitized versions of the real thing. Of course, these were exceptional stories. The run of the mill stuff shows up on COPS.

2 comments:

Tam said...

Harridan. :)

Chuck Pergiel said...

Thank you. That prompted me to look it up and it does describe the character: demanding, forceful, takes no guff. I think that's what we like about her. It's funny how she has gone from villain to hero without changing at all.