Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Advanced droplifting

Recent dialog:

“It’s windy today. Maybe I’ll go release that thank-you balloon I got a few weeks ago.”
“Is anyone going to want it when they find it?”
“Can’t imagine who would…”
“Then it’s littering.”
I had to admit the justice of the point. I would never just open the door on a windy day and toss out a wad of torn gift wrap, but somehow it seems different with a balloon. Maybe since it goes up instead of down it’s not a nuisance, but festive.
Do those mylar balloons conduct electricity, or reflect radar? Couldn’t releasing one then be a science experiment? Or what if I attached an addressed post card? Maybe it would fly to Nigeria, and someone would find it and reply (“I have the courage to Crave indulgence for this important business…”) Then it would be in the cause of World Peace.
The sky’s the limit Musing along, I thought about putting my neighbor’s name on the balloon, or anyone’s name; and not just on the balloon, but on anything. An advanced form of droplifting could involve writing other people’s names on the old stuff I leave around the office. (“Who is Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., and why is his busted coffee maker in the break room?”) It’s anonymous gift-giving, really. The gift is not presented in person, and the recipient isn’t informed. Maybe there are co-workers, senior managers, or famous people you admire, but you’re too shy to present them with the entirely serviceable coffee mug you’re no longer using. Just scratch their name on the bottom and leave it on the file cabinet.


Stolen entire from Monday Evening because it was the best thing that happened to me this weekend.

2 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

2011, a group of hams flew a weather balloon from California to Algeria in the Med!

Anonymous said...

I need to get going with this again; the house is getting cluttered.