Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, March 31, 2014

Workplace Dream

Operators at their calutron control panels at Y-12, the electromagnetic separation plant in Oak Ridge Tennessee. Nothing like where I was, I mean where are the red and blue lights? A very cool photo regardless.

I'm debugging a computer program. I am in some giant office space, much like a cube farm at Intel, except it is broken up by areas that are blocked off with walls that go to the ceiling. I am sitting at a table with some kind of antiquated computer terminal. I don't have a computer, this terminal is all I need, though it is connected by a cable to some kind of computer somewhere. I am stepping through the program, making notes, writing down addresses as I go. I look up from a particularly involved calculation and notice that someone has moved the terminal. What the heck? Another man sitting at the same table looks up from his work and tells me that --woman's name-- needed to use it to look up something for second. She slid it over to the edge of the table so she could use it. She is long gone, so I slide it back.
     Now I realize I need to make use of the facilities, so I get up and head to the nearest walled in block, where last time I checked there used to be a restroom. I go inside the block and there is a work area / hallway and several walled in offices, but no restrooms. I ask one of the people there and they confirm, that yes, last week, or whenever, there used to be restrooms here, but they have been removed to make room for their offices. And, no he doesn't know where they put the restrooms. Bah and humbug.
    So now I'm off looking for the restrooms. The situation isn't panicky (yet), it's just annoying that I have to go look for them. It's a big room with all kinds places along the walls. I come across some rooms that look like some kind of scientific / industrial process labs: control panels by the doors with red and blue lights. I finally come across something that looks like it might be a break room or a snack bar, and that gives me hope, but then I wake up.

No comments: