Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Bombs Away

New Icon for American Foreign Policy - Sacha Baron Cohen as Middle Eastern tyrant General Aladeen (Courtesy "The Dictator") - Send in the clowns.

Tam posted a link to a Foreign Policy story, which got me irritated enough to comment, and since commenting on a big, important website like FP is like pissing into the ocean, I decided to repost it here, where I am the big fish in the pond. We won't talk about the size of my pond. It's big enough for me and that's what's important. Anyway, FP is blathering about how the US bombing of ISIS is helping Al-Qaeda or some kind of bullshit, and I responded:

I don't like to say it, but when you are dealing with a medieval culture sometimes you need medieval methods. Bashar al-Assad might be the devil incarnate in Western eyes, but look at the hordes of devils he has to deal with. Look at medieval history in Europe. Were the leaders there and then good and benevolent creatures? By and large, no. It might be that the Mideast will have to go through the same period of growth and violence before they become civilized enough that our current Western standards of civilization can be applied.
I, for one, am all in favor of letting the Mideast sort itself out. If we were serious about any of this we would severe relations with Saudi Arabia and normalize relations with Iran, but I suspect big money has the deck stacked the way they want it, and as long as gas is less than $4 a gallon, who cares?

No comments: