Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Light Pollution

North America at Night
I think the dark blue is a map maker's artifact so you can see where the land is. Big difference between the eastern and western halves of the USA. You can pick out the big cities easily enough. In the western USA, Phoenix, Salt Lake City and Denver stand out. I think that amorphous blob in Canada north of Denver must be Calgary. Kind of interesting there is a band of light heading northwest from Chicago across Canada. I think the bright bar down in the lower right corner is Puerto Rico. Havana is the small glow in western Cuba. Jamaica has some light.

This is from You can see the Milky Way Galaxy, via Detroit Steve. I saw the stars once. Haven't seen much lately. Too many street lights in suburbia. Plus you would need to be able to relax to enjoy it. I seem to be beset by a zillion little hassles/annoyances/chores none of which interest me, but I am obligated so I try. Until I get tired. Then I take a nap. The internet is full of fascinating stuff. Most anything is more interesting than washing dishes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't make the map; but, I did go to the NASA website and checked out all three presentations - "Map", "Satellite", and "Night". The blue in the "Night" view seems to correspond to the tan (mountains and high plains) on the "Satellite" view.
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

Additional thought: The tan in the Satellite view may show lack of vegetation. I just noted that the Sahara is tan (blue in the "Night" view).
CC

Ole Phat Stu said...

The maps may not be true colour, nor even the same spectrum that we see.