Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Where are we?

I was trying to explain something to the kids. I started with 'a good job' and how the popular idea of a good job seems to mean working for a 'good' company, with 'good' pay and 'good' benefits. A lot of government jobs fall into that category and I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. The people working in passport control at the airport probably have 'good jobs', but I can't imagine anything worse. Osmany told us that one of his first jobs here in Argentina was working in a call center. You couldn't even go to the bathroom without obtaining permission first. He only lasted three days there. He has a friend who works as a bartender. He makes 150 pesos a night. That translates to about $2 an hour, which is what I made in my first job right out of high school. That is not an attractive salary, but it's better than nothing.
      I then went on to how the people who run businesses are not necessarily very smart. They have found some occupation or service that makes money and they have stuck with it. They may have put a lot of work into it and refined their operation, but just because they have made a bunch of money doesn't mean they are experts on anything outside of their business. Kind of like actors who speak up in favor of political causes.
     The kids opinion of this was that it was all obvious and why was I wasting time going over things they already knew, but then the conversation took a left turn and wandered off into the weeds.

    Took me a bit to figure out the answer to that last question, but I think I have it. Anytime you are making a plan, it helps to know where you are starting from. If you and a friend are trying to get to Chicago and one of you thinks you are in New York, and the other thinks they are in Los Angeles, you are not going to be able to agree on which direction to head. You should figure out where you are first before you try and make any plans.

2 comments:

LeeAnn said...

Happy New Year, wherever it turns out you celebrate it.

Chuck Pergiel said...

I heard a bunch big bangs last night and I said, shit, that sounds like gunfire. Has the revolution come to BA? Then all hell broke loose and I realized it was just the new year.