Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

I, for one, welcome our new spacebar overlords.

Detroit Steve tells us that Levelator is a great tool for podcasting. Keeps the voice level during a show and between editions. Phil concurs. He's used it several times for problematic voice files. ChuckE used it to clean up church service recordings because the audio varied so much. However, Levelator still only supports WAV and AIFF audio files.  The vast majority of the audio files in the world are MP3, so using it required converting to WAV then back to MP3, which was a pain.

I suggested using batch files to automate the process, but I was wrong in assuming that would alleviate the pain. The pain came not from performing the steps, but from working under deadline and having to wait for the process. All of which caused this to pop into my head:

Just realized that batch files suck. Used to use them all the time on DOS, in DOS boxes and under Linux.

One of my 'things to do' is collect all my code and upload it to github. But github doesn't like tab characters, they want everything done with spaces, which is heresy according to all true believers of the tabist faith. So all I have to do is write a stupid batch file to take a source file, detabinate it and upload it. It's only been #1 on list for the last month. Or maybe two.

My problem might be that I know it can be done, but I don't know exactly what commands it would take, so I would have to look up a bunch of stupid crap that will only be useful for this particular problem. I have already accumulated an encyclopedia of that kind of crap and discarded it and I don't want to do it any more. Well, not unless I'm getting paid.