Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Timer


10 Minute Countdown Radial Timer with Beeps

We cleaned out the brush in my tiny piece of swamp land and now we're trying to grow some grass there. It's doesn't have to be grass, just anything green that isn't Himalayan blackberries, or the trashy trees that shoot up out of the ground and spread dead branches everywhere. Nice soft, civilized greenery is what we want, and grass seed is cheap, so grass.
    Well grass seed needs water, but as we are on the verge of a swamp, we don't need much, so I need a timer. I've got one, I've had it for years, and it's been great, but this morning I cannot find it. Hey! I remember seeing a timer on the internet once, so I look and this is what I found. I like it because it has pretty colors. You can adjust the time to anything less then ten minutes by simply sliding the position indicator.
    This particular timer beeps once a minute. The last beep is louder, but it is still only one beep. This one might be good if you are not going anywhere, but I really need one that will not stop until somebody tells it to. It also needs to gradually increase in volume so that I will eventually hear it wherever I am. I do suppose we need some kind of limit. A beep that could be heard miles away might qualify as a weapon mass of destruction, and trying to get back to turn the timer off before the next beep goes would likely have fatal consequences. So maybe I should just sit here while the timer is running.

P.S. I can't find my downstairs reading glasses either. And yesterday I searched high and low for a piece of rope I knew I had, but it wasn't until I went to Lowes and bought a new piece that I found it. The curse of stuff has descended on me and if I don't get a handle on it I am liable to be crushed.

P.P.S. The link about Himalayan blackberries goes to King County, which is where Seattle is. All the Oregon links go to PDF files, which have some advantages on a real computer where you can have non-invasive PDF reader programs. I've got some PDF forms to fill out and Chromebooks PDF reader doesn't support the filling-in of PDF files. Well, actually I don't know that. The files I need to fill out may not support it, in which case it wouldn't matter if the reader did or not, but I use it so rarely I can't tell you whether it does or not. So I tried a couple of other PDF readers, but they produce these notices that want you to grant access to all of your files. What the hell is this? No, I don't want you messing with my files, I want to be the only one messing with my files. These programs may (are probably) only doing things at your direction, like any text editor or word processor, but that's not the way these access control dialogs are presenting it. It sounds like you are giving some unknown agency (aliens for Centauri Prime, maybe?) free reign to trample all over your file system.  No, just no.

No comments: