|To give you some idea of the size of the Statue of Liberty’s torch, here’s a picture of its replacement during the 1984 renovation. It can only be accessed via a very narrow stairway.|
Having been as slow on the uptake as anyone, I can't claim too many independent penetrating insights early on. The Cold War years seemed straightforward enough with the main irritant being the left's
- failure to recognize the hideous nature of communist regimes,
- failure to recognize the superiority of economic freedom,
- failure to recognize the innate decency of American law and traditional society,
- pathetic belief in their ability to craft solutions to life's problems superior to those developed over the centuries, and
- their dishonesty about their revolutionary objective.