Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Books

Came across a couple of stories about the history of books, if you are interested in that kind of thing.

New England Primer 1764
WHY PICTURE BOOKS WERE ONCE CONSIDERED DANGEROUS FOR CHILDREN via Indy Tom

The Grapes of Wrath - Armed Services Edition
Why were the books published for American soldiers during World War II printed in landscape format? What was so special about these books? via Quora


2 comments:

fillyjonk said...

About the second - there's a very good book, called "When Books Went to War," that chronicles the whole history of those editions. I actually HAVE a few now - I wrote about it on the blog, and some random person e-mailed me and asked me if I wanted to have some! (apparently he collected them and had duplicates).

Yes, I wanted them. (But I'm a cautious person and so had them sent to my work address, so my home address wasn't in the hands of someone I know nothing about....even though he'd probably be able to find it with just a little effort...)

Chuck Pergiel said...

I was very surprised that were so few bookstores before the war and so many afterwards. I kind of thought that there had always been bookstores and that they had grown with the population. I wonder if the increase in reading might be one of the most significant things about the 20th century.