Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Tundra Timing Belt Replacement

Iaman reports on a maintenance project:

All the stuff in front of the timing belt
Toyota 2UZ-FE engine, I'm replacing timing & serpentine belts and water pump after 175,000 miles, looks like they could have gone another 90,000.  The red coolant has kept inside of motor water channels sparkling clean. (Dealer and manual say belt is good for 90,000.) I'm doing this cause I have a place to work, my landlord's Jeep in case I need parts and dealer wanted $1000+. Parts were $200.  Shop time 3.5 hours,  my time 3.5 days.

Immediate issues:
  • rounded off screw in ac compressor (need extractor),
  • think I heard the tinkle of a nut falling into frame
  • remembering reassembly process 30+ steps.)

Removing the crankshaft pulley

Belts, idlers, water pump installed. Oil changed. 3 days. Tested good. Yay!

I am impressed with the overbuilding in the Toyota engine. I am curious about the development cost of engines/drive train vs the rest of a automobile

Lingering issues,
  • replacement screw for the rounded off screw (impatience) came out by fingers after drilling off the head, go figure
  • Serpentine belt idler has a a squeak warming up for a couple minutes
  • Waiting for new serpentine belt to come in, Amazon sent wrong one, reinstalled old one which looks OK.
  • The specs call for the crankshaft pulley bolt to be torques to 225lbs!?! Why? It merely keeps the crank serpentine pulley on.
More importantly I have a shallow aluminum hole in the truck air compressor buried deep that I stripped the threads out of, tried many fixes short of special engineered helicoil, next thing large shallow screw involving 1/2 hour trip to hardware store where I left my magnetic screw starter last night when I was looking for the proper size bolt.

Update:
  • After 24 hours I drove back to hardware store and miraculously there in the parking lot, my lost magnetic-screw-starter and a missing screw.
  • I found the missing nut indeed in the frame using magnetic wand, this could have easily been avoided by stuffing rags in tactical positions
  • I have checked and rechecked the crankshaft bolt, tugging on it for all I'm worth.  Getting it off was easy, bumping the starter with a the bolt held by breaker bar, yet the web is full of stories of people trying to hold the pulley while yanking on the bolt to loosen.
  • similarly researching CV replacement, many sites have step that include disassembly of caliper and rotor, when they can merely be swung out of the way....and on my water-pump replacement more than one site had the unnecessary step of removing ac compressor.

Relative to replacing water-pump, changing the oil was a pure joy, instead of a dreaded task! Funny how that works.

No comments: