Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, August 6, 2018

Binocular Vision

Binocular vision allows us to judge distance to objects that are nearby to us, I would say things that are up to ten feet away. After that, the difference in the angle of our eyes gets pretty small which would make it very hard to tell the difference.

The F-35 has a fancy system that allows the pilot to see in any direction, even right through the floor or through the back of the seat. Well, I read a story one time that said that was the plan. I don't know whether they ever got it working or not.

Now it occurs to me that with the advances in electronic cameras and flat panel displays, we could conceivably do away with windows completely. I don't think that's going to happen any time soon, not as long as computers keep getting hacked, crashing and breaking down.

However, I wonder if you mounted a couple of cameras on the wingtips of an aircraft and aimed them forward and down, at like a 45 degree angle maybe, and then connected them to one of those VR displays, if they might allow the pilot to more easily judge the distance to the ground, which could make landing easier.

Just don't blame me if you kill yourself trying this out.

No comments: