Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, December 9, 2018

Typewriter

Qwerkywriter S
Michigan Mike muses:
I wrote a lot on manual typewriters. If this jammed and made too much noise it might be okay.

I remember hearing typing on a manual once and it really annoyed me. I certainly did enough myself, in apartments. I wonder if my neighbors hated me.

You could actually feel it in your feet. You had to hit each key solidly or risk  backing up and hitting it again. I wonder if good ribbons were wool?
The sound a mechanical typewriter makes when being heavily used could be very annoying or reassuring, depending on context.


Speed Typing Test (Halda Star Typewriter)

I found the above video right off, but then I found this video, which mentions ASMR, and when I look that up, I found this one:


ASMR 10 Triggers to Help You Sleep


I use a Dell plastic keyboard. I tried being particular about my keyboard once, but then I got pulled out of my cocoon and had to use some other random keyboard and it was so disturbing that I forswore all custom keyboard input schemes.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That video reminds me, that the main sound and vibration from the manual typewriter came not from hitting the keys, but from the spring loaded advance stop (thump) to the next character position.