Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Google New World

Ford F-150 Pickup Truck
I sometimes think I need a better method of storing pictures (digital images) than just sorting them into sub-directories like I do now. Then I got to wondering how much storage space Google needs for all of their Street View images. Estimating the amount of space required seems to be a standard interview question in some obscure circles. Then I came across this little bit of info:
"We show that socioeconomic attributes such as income, race, education, and voting patterns can be inferred from cars detected in Google Street View images using deep learning. Our model works by discovering associations between cars and people. For example, if the number of sedans in a city is higher than the number of pickup trucks, that city is likely to vote for a Democrat in the next presidential election (88% chance); if not, then the city is likely to vote for a Republican (82% chance)." - PNAS
Cadillac Limosine Art Car
Well, that's weird. Could it be that people who know how to work with things prefer pick-em-ups because they are, like, useful? And people who drive cars have no such interests, prefer instead to work with people, or not do any work outside of their job? Since my truck died (the transmission gave out and I sold it for junk) I have been driving my daughter's old car. Does this mean I am going to turn into a Democrat? Younger son bought an old Ford F-150, so I have a pickup truck by proxy. Does that count?

No comments: