Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Family

Dune
I've been reading Dune for last couple of weeks and it's pretty great. It must be, I am nearly finished with it, unlike the stack of books on my table that I haven't finished.

Anyway, I am nearing the end of this 500 page Science Fiction thriller when I encounter this bit of dialog between Paul, the hero, Jessica, his mother, and Chani, his wife.
In that instant, she [Jessica] knew.
"You drank the sacred water!" she blurted.
"One drop of it," Paul said. "So small . . . one drop."
"How could you do such a foolish thing?" she demanded.
"He is your son," Chani said.
Jessica glared at her.
I howled. I dunno, maybe you had to be there.

I read the book once before, likely 50 years ago when it was new. I remember quite a bit of the story, but then I also saw the movie, so many of my memories are visual ones from the film. The only thing I am sure I remember from the book is the evil Baron unplugging the heartplug of one of his minions,  but like I said, I am almost done with the book and there has been no mention of any heartplugs, which means I must have got it from the movie. So much for eyewitness testimony.

The copy I am reading is the 50th Anniversary Edition (paperback). The closest thing available from Amazon is the 40th Anniversary Edition. Odd, don't you think?

2 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

I read it when it came out, 'cos the reviews said it was a
spicey story ;-)

Chuck Pergiel said...

Well Stu, was it spicy enough?