Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, August 29, 2019

Ingobernable


Ingobernable | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix

Another foreign language soap opera on Netflix. Full of tears and agonizing, the basics of any soap opera, but it also has a slightly different take on the War On Drugs. It also takes you on a tour of of life in Mexico City, which is pretty cool. There is some action and intrigue which is great, but for every 30 seconds of something happening there is ten minutes of crying and agonizing. Alcohol helps.

The President is trying curtail the number of people being killed in the drug wars. He asserts that the Mexican drug cartels are pawns of the Americans. That's a new angle. It's kind of funny, we hear about all the people being killed in Baltimore and Chicago and I assume it is because of turf wars being fought by low level drug distribution gangs. And we hear about the thousands of people being killed in Mexico in inter-cartel conflicts. But we never hear anything about the big drug distribution networks in the USA, probably because they have a well disciplined army of publicists and lobbyists who make sure that nobody breathes a word. Or maybe it's just rigid discipline, i.e. anyone who opens their mouth quickly ends up dead.

The government buildings in the show have sort of an old, decadent ambiance about them, but looking for the real buildings, I didn't find anything comparable. Also, who is the President of Mexico right now? I don't even know. Is it because my memory is bad, or is it because our media is so USA centric he never gets mentioned?

The title - Ingobernable - translates as Ungovernable. I don't know to pronounce it so I say Ingo-bern-able which is undoubtedly wrong, but it helps me remember how to spell it.

P.S. I tried to post a question about the buildings on Reddit, but evidently my account there was hacked, as was my account on Twitter. And lately my computer has taken to claiming that my network connection has gone down, even when other tabs on my browser are still working. Me thinks the internet needs a security overhaul.

No comments: