Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, October 12, 2019

Prairie Dogs

Stolen entire from Nobody Asked Me…
Out in the wilds of Colorado…
And in the me vs. Prairie dogs, the score is me zero… Couldn’t figure out the wind yesterday afternoon… 30 rounds zero hits, one scare. .22s at 225 yards is not easy in a gusting wind… Dammit…
A long stinking time ago I was flying somewhere and I got to talking to the guy sitting next to me. He had been out west somewhere and he and a friend of his had spent some time shooting prairie dogs. By the hundreds, if I remember correctly. I was shocked. Didn't know there were that many prairie dogs, didn't know you could shoot them with impunity. Different world. I suspect coyotes used to keep the prairie dog population in check, but ever since we ran off the wolves and coyotes, prairie dog populations have exploded.

I remember from watching Westerns on TV that prairie dog towns could be a problem for running horses. (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs has an example.) Would walking horses be able to navigate a prairie dog town, or would they just walk around it?

And the gun. A 22 is perfectly adequate for dispatching small animals like prairie dogs, but trying to hit them at 225 yards . . . I can't even imagine. A prairie dog head at 225 yards is like a 64th of an inch at arm's length.

No comments: