Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Ship Ahoy

F-35
Cool picture of the airplane, but what's that ship in the background? It kind of looks like an aircraft carrier, but it has two towers, and I've never seen an aircraft carrier with two towers before, so I ask Google and here's what I get.

Algerian amphibious transport dock Kalaat Béni Abbès
What? Methinks Google got it wrong. For one thing this ship has only one tower. The interesting part about the Kalaat Béni Abbès is that it's from Algeria, which I haven't heard anything about lately. Does that mean we aren't at war with them?

Mystery Ship
I cropped the mystery ship out of the giant original photo and now I can see that it appears to have ski jump at the fore end of the flight deck. The Russian's use ski jumps, but they only have a couple of carriers, and they only have one tower. So I posted a question on NavWeaps Forums (because Reddit's search function was on the fritz).

HMS Queen Elizabeth leaving Portsmouth*
The answer is the HMS Queen Elizabeth, a new British aircraft carrier, one of a pair purchased by the government for three billion pounds each. Curious, the Wikipedia article quotes the price in pounds, not Euros.

*I thought I found this picture on Reddit, but now I can't find it, though a search turns up scads of similar pictures.

2 comments:

Bill said...

The price is quoted in pounds because the pound is the UK's currency; Britain has never adopted the Euro.

Chuck Pergiel said...

What the duck? Not much of a club if everyone isn't playing by the same rules. Oh well, not my problem.