Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, March 9, 2020

HMS Royal George 1756

Royal George , a warning to all citizens of the future.


Sea Stories (FULL Audiobook)

Iaman has been listening to sea stories, and he found the The Loss of the Royal George worth sharing. This story is recited in the above video of Sea Stories. The book, and the story, can also be found on Project Gutenberg. I couldn't listen to the audiobook. I don't have much patience with recorded voices, but the written version is short and quick and a very grim tale. As Iaman says:
"What could go wrong?  Calm water, no wind, sun out, warm festive atmosphere."
The loss of the 100-gun First Rate H.M.S. Royal George at Spithead, 29th August 1782 - William E.D. Stuart (fl. mid-19th Century)
(fl. stands for Floruit, which means flourished)


Here is the table of contents for the audio book (top). I had some trouble locating the story I wanted so I started making my own table of contents before I thought to look in the comments where I found it, and not too far down either.

A Representation of H.M.S. Royal George of 108 Guns now lying sunk.... at Spithead, having been under water fifty one years. Mr Deane equipped in his newly invented Diving Apparatus.... in August 1832
This shipwreck was the scene of some of the earliest attempts at diving using artificial breathing equipment.

No comments: