Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Water

Yesterday morning around 10AM I got a phone call from my neighbor at the new house telling me that water is running out of my water meter. Called the water bureau. By the time I got there, the man from the water bureaus was already there and he had determined that it wasn't the city's problem, it was mine. I have to say, it was pretty obvious what the problem was. The line about a foot downstream from the meter was gushing water and excavating a cavity in the ground.

Buried Valve and Broken SharkBite Tee Fitting
Osmany and I spent about an hour excavating and removing the broken pieces and then we went in search of repair parts. First stop was Home Depot, but once again there was a long line of people waiting to get in. Phooey on that, so we headed over to ACE Hardware where there were only three or four people in line, so we didn't have to wait long, but it didn't help. They didn't have any fittings for one inch PEX line. So I consult my magic elf box and I locate a plumbing supply store across the river in Vancouver. I also found one in downtown Portland, but their phone was disconnected. So off to the wilds of Washington State we go.

Grover Electric and Plumbing Supply
There was a short line at Grover Electric and Plumbing Supply and the guy at the counter fixed us up right quick and it only cost me $95. The old me would cry 'gadzooks' at such a price, but I had my plumbing battle armor on and I wasn't going to let a piddly hundred dollars stand between me and victory over a broken pipe.

Repair Complete
Osmany got all the pieces fitted and connected with the old lines, but we didn't have any pipe wrenches with us, so we called it a day. We went over there again this morning, this time with pipe wrenches and tightened everything up and it looks like we have defeated the gremlins once again.

I suspect that the fitting broke because the hole in the ground wasn't backfilled properly when it was installed, that and someone really big and heavy, like King Kong, stomped on it. Something put a serious strain on that pipe. I can't imagine what it was.

No comments: