Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, May 29, 2020

Bluebird CN7 - Donald Campbell's Turbine Record Car


Bluebird CN7 - Donald Campbell's Turbine Record Car
Scarf And Goggles

I don't remember hearing about this car. It was running around the same time as when President Kennedy was shot (1963) and I remember that. I remember hearing about Craig Breedlove's Spirit of America.

The video has some interesting bits, like the 300 MPH crash, rain in Australia and the cost of building the car. Building a car to attempt the land speed record requires a massive fund raising campaign, something similar to running national political campaign. The technical aspect of building the car is only half the job, campaigning is the other half. I could do the technical half, but I don't have the energy to do the campaigning half.

When I was younger I didn't really appreciate the nerve it would take to drive a car like this. You get in, step on the gas and head for the finish line. What's the big deal? Now I think these guys must have had a screw loose. I suppose it's kind of like Marty Byrde from Ozark. They have gotten themselves lined out, they have a goal, and that's where they are headed, come hell or high water. Choice doesn't enter into the matter.

No comments: