Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Raise the Kursk


Raising the Kursk - SMIT Salvage

I am amazed. This video is a little longer than the ones I usually post, but it's Sunday, so I had the time to spend watching it. This size and complexity of this project is like something out of an epic science fiction thriller. It must have cost a pretty penny. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost $100 million (I wasn't far off. The salvage operation cost $65 million). I do remember hearing about the Kursk disaster, but I don't really remember hearing anything about raising it. I did a post that mentioned the disaster.

P.S. Using Blogger's search function for Kursk doesn't find the relevant post. Even with the post pulled up, the browser's search function (Ctrl-F) can't find it either because it's in an embedded spreadsheet. However, if you click on the spreadsheet, then the browser can find it. Not much help at this point, I just wanted to point out the limitations of these programs.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

There is no way in hell all that got done for $65 million. My guess is that the $65M is just the OHP, figuring that at 35% the project total more likely came in somewhere just north of $185M.

Chuck Pergiel said...

I'm wondering how you got your estimate. Do you have some data to work with? Or is that just a gut estimate? I mean, that's all my estimate was.